Friday, March 7, 2014

On Deadlines and Release Dates

Forgive me my lack of entries.  Between kids, a job and editing, most of my time has been taken up.  I will endeavor to add entries much more quickly in the future.  Today I want to discuss deadlines and release dates; a subject I'm far too obsessed with right now.  My first story is done, with the exception of a final pass through.  I will be releasing it on March 10.  At that point, it's no longer my own and I will face all that comes with publishing a debut novel.

There is one thing I should mention when you come up on your own deadlines.  If your story is not ready, don't force it.  The only thing worse than missing a deadline is releasing a book that's not ready for consumption.  I'd rather disappoint my readers with a two-week delay than disappoint them with a crappy book.  One they can forgive, the other, not so much.

So remember, in your excitement to release a book, make sure it's ready.  Read it over and over again.  More importantly, have others look it over for mistakes and typos.  You don't have to be Hemingway as a writer.  Most of us aren't.  You don't even have to be an English major.  If you can tell a good tale, it will make up for a ton of flaws.  But what you should never do is release a book that's riddled with errors.  That is within your control.  Don't rely on spell check, rely on other people.  You'll be glad that you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment